Guest Teacher: Hedy Alicia Iankelevich
INTRODUCTION TO THE SANSKRIT LANGUAGE
Guest Teacher: Manorama
This Sanskrit Studies Method course is an introduction to the Sanskrit language and the culture of the modern yogi. We will look at select sounds of the Sanskrit alphabet, two commonly chanted mantras in yoga classes around the globe. We’ll practice pronouncing select asana names. You’ll also be introduced to Luminous Soul Meditation and select principles for authentic yogic living.
- How to pronounce select alphabet sounds and words in Sanskrit. Proper pronunciation gives you the confidence to chant mantras and speak asana names with ease
- Why Sanskrit mantras are healing for the listener
- Immerse in the Luminous Soul Meditation practice, which teaches you how to soothe the mind and return it to a natural energized peaceful state, no matter the challenge
- Develop insight into why Sanskrit is called the language of vibration and why that’s important
- Understanding breath and its place in your yogic practice and in the Sanskrit language
- Get practice reading the Sanskrit letters in their original form called Devanagari, as well as, in the transliteration script
MEET THE TEACHERS
Hedy Alicia Iankelevich
Manorama evokes healing through the universal arts of language and conscious living. “Happiness,” she often says, “is the free flow of energy, and communication is energy. When we use our voices authentically and confidently, we create harmony between ourselves and others.” A renowned, highly respected teacher, Manorama offers Sanskrit Studies Method programs for yoga teacher trainings, as well as Luminous Soul Method training and retreats. She tours the globe, training students in the Sanskrit Studies Method and the Luminous Soul Method. Through the Sanskrit Studies Method, Manorama offers a direct, easy and joyful approach to learning Sanskrit, encouraging her students to focus on core principles of learning, the dynamic sound qualities of the language, and it’s philosophical beauty. Grammar becomes fun and playful. In the Luminous Soul Method, students learn about the nine pillars, which will make your life rich with wisdom, understanding and joy. The Luminous Soul Method fuses sacred Eastern and Western philosophy and teaches you how to integrate them into your everyday life. Combining her earthly charm with a healthy dose of humor, Manorama guides students in bridging the ordinary with the spiritually sublime. Yoga teachers and students alike treasure Manorama’s recordings on Patanjali’s Yoga Sutra, Learn to Chant Yoga Invocations and Learn to Pronounce Yoga Poses. Celebrated for her haunting melodies in chanting and her precision in pronunciation, Manorama is featured on numerous albums, including Invocation (with Krishna Das and Ty Burhoe) and Wade Morisette’s, Maha Moha: The Great Delusion. Manorama earned a B.A. in Film at Columbia University, where she also studied linguistics.